April 27th - May 1st

April 27th - May 1st

Checking In
Welcome to week 8 of isolation and week 5 of on-line teaching and learning. We hope that you are doing alright and are getting outside to enjoy the sunshine we have been having.

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week.  We know that mental health is a real concern as we walk through these difficult days. If your family is struggling, please reach out to us for help. We can reduce work loads or connect you with resources in our community that can provide support.
If your family is struggling or looking for support please note upcoming free webinars for parents.

Kids Have Stress Too
Crisis Survival Skills: Supporting your Child and Teen during Stressful Times
Taming Anxiety Gremlins: Avoiding anxiety traps while promoting resilience
Mindfulness as an Anxiety Management Tool
Emotional Regulation Using Mindfulness

To access any of the above webinars please click this link and create an account.
https://community.hmhc.ca/sessions/?p=online&fbclid=IwAR1YlVL6AJM4Fu_yCI2LEvMVwFTOClEfSd5G05maOovsKVg02V5IEsFP5cQ

Upcoming
Over the next 8 weeks of teaching we will continue to be working through Literacy and Math activities and will be assigning some optional Social and Science activities.  If you have any questions in regards to workload or assignment instructions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Mr. Hobbs: jkhobbs@cbe.ab.ca
Mrs. Koch: tlkoch@cbe.ab.ca
Mrs. Baker: jkbaker@cbe.ab.ca
Mrs. Fuller: anfuller@cbe.ab.ca

We wanted to provide you with a list of a few of the curriculum objectives that we will be covering over the next few months within our Language Arts and Math planning. 

Math
Algebra
-I can verify equations by calculating the expressions on both sides of the equal sign and verifying that they are equal.
-I can write and solve easy addition and subtraction equations using models and equations.
-I can solve easy multiplication and division equations using the guess-and-check method and by writing the unknown by itself.
-I can translate between mathematical phrases written in words and numerical expressions.
-I can substitute values for the variables in algebraic expressions and translate simple word problems into algebraic expressions.
-I can write and solve equations for one-step word problems involving sums or differences of parts.

Fractions
-I can understand that fractions can represent equal parts of a whole and of a set.
-I can name fractions of a whole
-I can understand how to find the whole length if given a specific fraction of the whole length.
-I can look at pictures to compare and order fractions.
-I can compare fractions by using number lines.
-I can compare and order fractions based on the size and the number of fractional parts.
-I can find equivalent fractions using multiplication.
-I can compare fractions with different numerators and denominators.

Decimals
-I can use decimal notations for fractions with denominators 10 and 100, place decimal hundredths on number lines, and order decimal hundredths using a number line.
-I can compare and order decimal tenths and hundredths.
-I can express hundredths in terms of mixed units (tenths and hundredths).
-I can understand decimal place value as a natural extension of whole-number place value as each place value is worth ten times as much as the place on its right.
-I can use decimal notation for fractions with denominator 10, 100, and 1000.
-I can write decimals and their equivalent fractions for tenths, hundredths, and thousandths. 
-I can use a number lines to compare decimal fractions and decimals.
-I can use fractions (halves, quarters, and fifths) as benchmarks for decimals.
-I can add and subtract decimals.

Measurement
-I can estimate and measure the perimeter of shapes using appropriate units.
-I can explore how the perimeter of a figure changes when shapes are added to the figure in different places.
-I can use square centimetres or square metres to measure the areas of regular and irregular shapes.
-I can determine appropriate units for measuring area.
-I can express the formula for the area of a rectangle using variables.
-I can use a formula to calculate the areas of rectangles.
-I can investigate how perimeter and area are related to but not dependent on each other.
-I can find the number of cubes in a rectangular stack.
-I can develop the formula length × width × height for the number of cubes in a stack.
-I can develop and use the formula Volume = length × width × height for the volume of rectangular prisms.
-I can use referents for litres and millilitres and convert measurements in whole number litres to millilitres.
-I can convert the measurement in litres (including decimal litres) to millilitres and solve problems involving converting units of liquid volume.

Probability
-I can identify the outcomes of events involving chance.
-I can identify situations in which the chances of an event are even.
-I can describe the likelihood of events occurring using the words "impossible," "possible," and "certain"; and
-I can compare the likelihood of two events using the words "less likely," 
​"more likely," or "equally likely."

Writing
-I can represent and organize my ideas for writing visually
-I can use different forms of writing
-I can organize and present ideas in my own writing
-I can use my own experiences to find ideas for writing
-I can use clear organization to connect ideas and to help others understand
-I can organize ideas and information that focus on key parts
-I can use beginnings and endings that engage my audience
-I can use language that is appropriate for the situation
-I can express my point of view about things I have read, seen and heard
-I can explain how conflict is solved in things I write
-I can understand strategies for planning my writing
-I can use a variety of sentence types and beginnings in my writing
-I can explain/describe things I am writing about

Spelling & Grammar 
-I can use words and phrases to make my writing clear
-I can use different ways to accurately spell words in my own writing
-I can use criteria to revise my own writing
-I can edit my work for correct punctuation and grammar

Reading
-I can use prior knowledge to make sense of new ideas and information
-I can use reading strategies that are right for what I am reading
-I can use many strategies to figure out what new words mean
-I can express my own point of view about things I’ve read
-I can identify and talk about the similarities and differences of different types of readings
-I can identify the main problem in things I read
-I can summarize what I have read
-I can find evidence in the text for my thoughts and opinions

Upcoming Dates

May
May 15th - Non-Instructional Day- No on-line Classes
May 18th - Victoria Day- No on-line Classes

June
June 25th- Report Cards go home
June 26th- Last day of on-line classes
June 29th- Non-Instructional Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 5th

Welcome to Grade 5!

May 4th - May 8th